(Professional Judgment)


To automatically be classified as an independent student, you must meet specific federal requirements that are outlined section 2 of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The U.S. Department of Education realizes students experience circumstances that warrant re-evaluation of their dependency status to become an independent student. In order to request re-evaluation of your status as an independent student you must provide documentation to support your request to the Office of Student Financial Aid. The documents you submit will be evaluated by your financial aid counselor and/or Professional Judgment Committee. Please note that self-sufficiency is not in itself an acceptable reason for 'Dependency Override'. The U.S. Department of Education has directed schools under section 480(d)(7) of the HEA to use Professional Judgment for 'Dependence Override' only if a student meets one of the following unusual circumstances:

Abandonment by your Parents


Danger of Abuse (Either Mental or Physical)

The required documents to support a 'Dependency Override' and instructions are as follows:

  • Completed 2014-2015 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) if application has not been filed.
  • Dependency Override Requirement Form (this form).
  • A detailed letter from you (the student) outlining your unusual circumstances, including how you plan to support yourself and your educational effort without the support of your parents.
  • At least two detailed letters (on letterhead) from professionals such as teachers, guidance counselors, doctors, lawyers, or ministers explain and support your claim. These letters must supply first-hand detailed information concerning your situation. Each letter must provide a contact telephone number.
  • At least one letter from another adult such as a grandparent, aunt, uncle or adult sibling who can supply first-hand detailed information about your situation. The letter must provide a contact telephone number.
  • Copies of legal documents that support your unusual circumstances.
  • All documents must be submitted along with this form signed and dated by the student.

Please scan all the supporting documents you wish to submit with this form into one file before you start filling out this form.

To be filled out by the student:

Dynamic Forms

By checking the box above, you give permission for a UNO Financial Aid Administrator to contact the people who provided documentation to support your 'Dependency Override'.

Please add your letter and supporting documents as an attachment.

(.pdf, .doc, .docx, .jpg, .txt formats only)